At Cancer Care Foundation of Tidewater, we believe that any cancer diagnosis is a greatest fear realized. Every day we help patients meet that fear with courage, friendship and kindness.
Cancer Care Foundation of Tidewater’s mission is to provide emotional support, guidance and financial assistance to people touched by cancer in our community. We support the emotional and non-medical needs of patients and their caregivers through our Acts of Kindness volunteer program, our Humanitarian Assistance program, and our Community Wellness events and partnerships.
- We coordinate programs that directly impact the lives of more than 100,000 individual cancer patients in treatment in our community each year, regardless of diagnosis, age, race, gender or socio-economic status.
- Our community of 200 volunteers visits patients daily during chemotherapy and radiation treatment at facilities throughout the region in our Acts of Kindness Program.
- Our Acts of Kindness program volunteers provide emotional support to more than 1,500 patients in treatment each week.
- Volunteers serve savory snacks, sandwiches and beverages as a vehicle to provide emotional support for patients and their caregivers.
- We have partnered with Virginia Oncology Associates since our founding in 2001 by providing volunteers at their 11 infusion clinics in the region. Demand for our services has grown and we are thrilled to be expanding our program to Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center and the Sidney M. Oman Cancer Center at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center.
- Our Humanitarian Assistance program annually provides more than $25,000 in financial assistance to individuals undergoing treatment who have inadequate financial means to meet pressing non-medical expenses.
- Our recent partnership with Eastern Virginia Medical School will now provide children in treatment at Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters with support from medical students.
- Local students participate in AOK Clubs where they learn the value of service, the power of caring and the tremendous impact cancer has in our community.
- Since 2011, we give back to the local community with our Whole Life Market. Throughout the summer and fall, we sponsor an open-air farmers-style market featuring organic, whole food and farm-fresh produce and products in a family-friendly atmosphere featuring live music and entertainment.
You can review all of our programs and services here: CCFOT Programs
Review our recent Fact Sheet.